Popular Posts

Monday, July 8, 2013

At Street Level

At Street Level 
by Damian G.



   San Diego is not exactly known for it's thriving art scene. Unlike our big brother to the North, premium quality graffiti murals are a rare sight and hard to come by. Most of the street art in this city never sees the light of day because it seems to only exist under freeway passes and drainage ditches. Like a bad dog, it has been subdued and muzzled.

 I hit the streets in downtown San Diego today with the intent to cover some of the more popular and notable graffiti murals that San Diego has been blessed with. Armed with my girlfriend's Canon Power Shot A95 and my GoPro Hero 3, I spent a considerable amount of time traversing on foot through the downtown and uptown areas. After a long day and numerous shots, I was left with something to be desired.

-Enjoy!

  A construction site on 9th St. (between Broadway and E St.). Amidst the surrounding destruction, this mural emerges unscathed!



Pokez is a Mexican vegetarian eatery and cafe that is popular with the skateboard community. I have no idea what the fuck is going on here, seems to be some type of futuristic Aztec woman.



                            You can find this faded old bag loitering on 9th St. (off of Broadway).



A cute painting that gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach. (Park Blvd. at the Hart Lounge)




Finally some aggressive looking graffiti murals! Undisputed Gym at 16th and K.




Not sure where I was when I stumbled upon this group of characters.



Some juice bar on University (in Hillcrest booooys!)



Pink tigers...some cafe on Richmond and University (do I even have to mention that this is in Hillcrest?)




This pet store is called the "Animal House" which I think is pretty fuckin' cool!




Some nice productions at a different Undisputed Gym located on University and Ohio (in North Park). Man.. these Brazilian jui-jitsu guys have a hard on for graffiti murals.




You can find this fancy little number on University and Grim. 
Very nice, ..very nice.




Thrift Trader (between Lincoln and University) is plastered with graffiti!





These interesting pieces were painted on the outside of some type of insurance company that I came across while making my way through North Park (on 30th St.).




You can bet Redwood Laundromat is located in the trendier part of North Park.






The End.













3 comments: